The New York State Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS) requires that a total of 30 hours of training must be completed every licensing/registration period. Fifteen hours of such training must be received during the first six months of licensure, registration or employment by a program.
Training must address the following topics:
1. Principles of childhood development, including the appropriate supervision of children, meeting the needs of children enrolled in the program with physical or emotional challenges and behavior management and discipline;
2. Nutrition and health needs of children;
3. Child care program development;
4. Safety and security procedures, including communication between parents and staff;
5. Business record maintenance and management;
6. Child abuse and maltreatment identification and prevention;
7. Statutes and regulations pertaining to child care;
8. Statutes and regulations pertaining to child abuse and maltreatment; and
9. Education and prevention of Shaken Baby Syndrome.