The County of Rockland and the New York State Department of Health both offer programs that encourage and support breastfeeding, and we are excited to be working with the Rockland County Department of Health to help family/group family child care providers and child care centers in Ramapo and Clarkstown become designated as a “Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care Site.” (Left Image: Rockland County’s Breastfeeding Program and Support logo created by Olga Porumbaro)
CCRR has participated in the Creating Breastfeeding Friendly Communities Grant for six years. We are proud to announce that through the hard work of the Rockland County Health Department, the NYS Child and Adult Care Food Program Breastfeeding Coordinator, and the CCRR team, the grant will come to a close at the end of January with 37 Breastfeeding Friendly Sites in Rockland County!
Congratulations to RS Deals Corp., RS Supply Center, Rockland County Court House Children's Center, and JCC Rockland for completing all the necessary requirements for becoming Breastfeeding Friendly! They will all earn by the Spring of 2023.
Breast Feeding Friendly Success Stories
Rams Day Care
In December 2022, Elise Bilali Nyota proudly earned her Breastfeeding Friendly Designation for her Family Child Care program Rams Day Care, located in Spring Valley. After working collaboratively with Jenny Spampinato, Manager of Professional Development and receiving technical assistance, owner Elise Bilali Nyota created an area in her home for breastfeeding mothers and families to utilize. Learn More.
Pampered Family Child Care
Early December 2021, owner Claudine Sterlin-Desir started her Breastfeeding Friendly Designation journey. Claudine runs a Group Family program out of her home in the beautiful area of Haverstraw. Claudine worked collaboratively with then - Infant Toddler Specialist Jenny Spampinato to complete all requirements while receiving technical assistance and guidance throughout the process. Learn More
Fairy Steps Childcare
Early September 2021, owner Norfelina Ballas started her Breastfeeding Friendly Designation journey. Norfelina runs a Group Family program out of her home in the beautiful area of Valley Cottage. Norfelina has been working diligently to earn her designation and promote breastfeeding within her program. Learn more
We are proud to have worked with the following Rockland County child care centers and homes toward meeting the requirements of the Breastfeeding Friendly designation. Congratulations!
- Stephanie Acevedo, My Tiny World LLC – Group Family Child Care
- Andrea Bogin, Campus Fun & Learn Child Development Center, Inc. – Child Care Center
- Ivett Carrasco, Kids Town – Group Family Child Care
- Maria Ceci, Rockland Worksite Daycare – Child Care Center
- Miriam Cohen – Group Family Child Care
- Johely Cruz, Early Bird Nursery and Child Care – Group Family Child Care
- Darnett E. Davis, Kidsnett Child Care Program – Child Care Center
- Jeannine Desir, Jenny's Heavenly Daycare – Group Family Child Care
- Charmaine Emundson, Charm’s Daycare – Group Family Child Care
- Fairy Steps Childcare - Group Family Child Care
- Merlande U. Francois, Little Sprouts Family Day Care – Group Family Child Care
- Rosa Garcia – Group Family Child Care
- Sarah Hirschberg, Darchei Noam Daycare - Group Family Child Care
- Myra Jean-Gilles, The Myra Jean-Gilles Day Care - Group Family Child Care
- Lorna Levitin – Group Family Child Care
- Wanda L. McCarthy – Group Family Child Care
- Scheindl Michalowitz, Teacher Mommy Daycare, Inc. - Child Care Center
- Jamie Naddeo, Bright Beginnings of Rockland, Inc. (New City and Pomona locations) – Group Family Child Care
- Elise Bilali Nyota, Rams Day Care - Spring Valley, NY
- Noelia O’Leary, Nelly’s Nest - Family Child Care
- Irma Pachter, Mother Gooses House - Group Family Child Care
- Elsa Sandoval – Group Family Child Care
- Gitel Silber, Kids in Action Rockland - Group Family
- Shaindel L. Spitzer - Group Family Child Care
- Claudine Sterlin-Desir, Pampered Family Child Care
- Chaya Tauber, Gan Simcha Day Care Inc. – Group Family Child Care
- Chana Twersky, Kids in Action NY - Group Family Child Care
- Clara Ungar – Group Family Child Care
- Aviva T. Weimer, Kiddie Kingdom – Group Family Child Care
- Nathalee N. Williams, Interaction Child Care LLC – Group Family Child Care
- Wish For Child Learning Center - Family Child Care
- Sophia Zuniga, Sophia's Sandcastle – Group Family Child Care
Learn more about the Rockland County Breastfeeding Promotion and Support Program and its breastfeeding designation for child care centers; contact Jenny Spampinato, Manager of Professional Development: 845-425-0009, x419 or email@example.com
Guide to the Rights of Breastfeeding Employees in NY
The United States Breastfeeding Committee published the Guide to the Rights of Breastfeeding Employees in New York. Representatives from NYSDOH worked the NYSDOL and the NYS Breastfeeding Coalition on this effort, which was funded through a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Breastfeeding Committee by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Human Milk Initiative Educational Written Materials The Neonatal Quality Improvement Collaborative of Massachusetts has some wonderful information on their website and we are glad to share their materials. On their website's materials page, you'll find information on the Importance of Breast Milk; Pumping and Hand Expression; Skin to Skin Care; and Transition to Direct Breastfeeding. When you click on each of those headings you'll find materials available in nine languages!